Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Scream On!

Here's a familiar image; we seen it on everything from tee shirts to notecards. But did you know that the artist made several versions (four to be exact) in different media?                                

This image is so popular that the work has been stolen several times; once twenty years ago today. But all the stolen works have been recovered.

Here is what the artist had to say: 

"I was walking along the road with two friends
the sun was setting
suddenly the sky turned blood red
I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence
there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city
my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety
and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature"  Edvard Munch
The Scream 1893 Edvard Munch

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?