Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy Birthday P G

My art education began in the galleries of the Minneapolis Art Institute. I lived in south Minneapolis and close enough to walk. I loved the place and visited often. No one ever questioned a girl roaming the galleries by herself. I saw so many great things there; one of which was I Raro Te Oviri by Paul Gauguin. It was an image that stuck with me, at the time not knowing about the elements of design. It probably was the color that attracted me to it.
I Raro Te Oviri by Paul Gauguin
Today is Gauguin's birthday. He was born in 1848 and was part of the Post-Impressionist movement. Vincent van Gogh idolized him and in 1988 they even painted together for 9 weeks in Arles, France. But a friendship never clicked between them. They both suffered from boughts of depression; maybe they just got on each other's nerves. I have many fond memories of the Minneapolis Art Institute; I'm having pangs of homesickness as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?