Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pieter Bruegel

Hunters in the Snow by Pieter Bruegel 45"x 64 1/2" Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna
This is one of his paintings that I was already familiar with.



I came across a review of a film titled The Mill and the Cross, and I was intrigued. This Polish-Swedish film takes Pieter Bruegel's painting, "The Procession to Calvary" and presents a fictionalized account of the action in the painting. Sixteenth century master designer, sculptor, engraver and painter Pieter Bruegel was born at the beginning of the Reformation, and his work depicts the changing attitude in what was acceptable as subject matter; his landscapes are crowded with the events in the lives of the common man.




I have ordered the DVD, and if it arrives in time I'll show it at the church on Good Friday. Once I see it I can publish my own review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?