Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Renoir

I have just finished reading (for the second time) Susan Vreeland's historical novel Luncheon of the Boating Party, and I am fighting a strong urge to hop on a plane to DC to see the painting in the flesh at the Phillips Gallery. Thanks to Ellen G., a Houston artist who I met in Santa Fe in July at a Pat Dews Workshop, (aren't I a name dropper) for recommending this interesting read.
I see Renoir's work as painted snapshots of life. Photography was still a complicated process in 1881, but Renoir seems to have the ability to catch people "in the act" mostly of having fun. Ms Vreeland portrays each model at this luncheon with a real history and personality as she gives her slant on how this painting might have happened.
In May of 2007 I finally got to see Gustave Caillebotte's Paris Street, Rainy Day in Chicago after a twenty year wait. Caillebotte was also an Impressionist and good friend of Renoir, and has a important role in the novel. And now I have another reason to visit DC (I have never been to the National Gallery). We are very blessed in the USA to have so many fine examples of Impressionist art in our galleries.
I give this book 3 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?