Sunday, March 18, 2018

Bye, Bye Mitch


Mitch Lyon
June 2012

I just got news that Mitch Lyons died earlier this month.

About seven years ago while I was working in ceramics, I found Mitch's DVD's on ceramics in the college library. I loved what he was doing with ceramics especially the clayprinting. As I watched the magic appear on the clayprinting plate it was so exciting that I thought I would hyperventilate.

In 2012 I was able to take one of his workshops in Taos, NM. It changed the course of my work. My present studio is set up for clayprinting and I can easily lose myself for hours being surprised by what appears on my printing plates.

Thank you Mitch for sharing your clayprinting process with so many artists.

www.mitchlyons.com

Here are a few pics from the 2012 Workshop:


Mitch creating
Clay pigments
Mitch adding color to the plate with chalk.
Mitch adding color to the plate with colored slip.
Mitch pulls a finished print.
Prints drying on the line. 
Radio Waves
I created this clayprint at the workshop. It is framed & hangs in my entry.

2 comments:

  1. It's fascinating how your lives crossed and made such a difference for you. Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, had my creative horizons expanded through workshops with Mitch. We are all a little poorer now.

    ReplyDelete

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?