Wednesday, June 3, 2015

In the Studio


I found this quote the other day: "There is no dirt in heaven." Ann Lee

I'm tempted to take issue with that statement, asking for chapter & verse and picturing an uninviting sterile place. But heaven is not my subject; my subject is dirt.

Our world is made of it, and I'm thankful for it when I enter my studio because I work with dirt.

I get excited when I'm greeted by a blank clay slab (dirt). It's like a blank canvas; it calls to me, inviting me to come and make my mark. Ideas course through my mind, and my imagination starts churning out images. What wonderful print will emerge?

It's just a slab of clay. But add color, shape & line and something wonderful happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?