Saturday, November 10, 2012

Happy Anniversary

It was two years ago today that I posted my first entry on this blog. Blogging was new to me then, but I was willing to learn. Well, I managed to increase in knowledge and experience and images eventually became part of the blog. But I still have lots to learn and hopefully this blog will continue to evolve.
The very first post I entered was a book review, so I thought I'd tell you all about another book on this anniversary.

Frida Kahlo: the brush of anguish by Martha Zamora.
I started to read about Frida in the early nineties because I was fascinated with her images and because I was interested in Mexican art. But it seems as if since the movie Frida came out, in about 2005, there has been much more information.
Every book written on Frida emphasises her battle with pain; it influenced every part of her life, most importantly her art. Brush of anguish tells how this complicated woman portrayed her pain on canvas, wood, tin & glass. Information that was new to me was how hard she and husband Diego Rivera had to work at making art, just to maintain their lifestyle. They had two homes, servants, and Diego was building the Anahuacalli Museum that can still be visited today. The largest collection of Frida Kahlo's paintings are at the Dolores Olmeda Collection in Mexico City. Much of the work of this husband & wife artist team is still on display in Mexico. It makes me want to make the trip. But one painting I would really like to see is The Suicide of Dorothy Hale which is in the USA in Phoenix, AZ. Do I see a trip to Phoenix in my future?
Although author Martha Zamora's selection of paintings and the images of Frida, her husband and friends is not new, this book does contain some information about Frida's life that was new to me and makes this book an interesting read. But any book on Frida Kahlo is interesting, even if you only look at the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?