Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sacred Sunday

The Ennunciation with Saint Emidius by Carlo Crivelli 1486


I came across this painting several months ago thanks to Sister Wendy. It is a beauty. Makes me wonder if it's a student piece: one to prove to the master that the artist can paint anything.


Well I noticed that it was in the National Gallery in London and so I looked it up and made note of the gallery number. Then I made a trip to the gallery to see specifically this painting and one other. And there it was! Only one problem: that gallery was closed for rehanging. Fortunately only a rope kept me out and I could peer around the ladders for as good of a look as I was going to get. It's a large painting so even from across the room it is a visual feast.


Sister Wendy says: So much is going on here that it takes a long time to enjoy it all.


Next Sunday is the first Sunday in Advent, and the good news is delivered to Mary that she will have a son, Emmanuel. Maybe this is a heavenly view of the event.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have a feeling that one could spend hours contemplating this piece if they sat in front of it.

    ReplyDelete

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?