Thursday, July 8, 2010

501

I discovered 501 Great Artists on the new book shelf at the library. Boy, what an education. There are so many that I am totally unfamiliar with. And not just the early ones (for the book starts in the 10th century), but even in the modern ones, 1880's to present.

This book has a brief summary of each artist's life and accomplishments with a picture of the artist and maybe one example of his/her work.

There were some surprises: artists listed that I never expected,
artists missing that I expected to find.

The inclusion of Romare Bearden was a surprise. I first discovered this work in 2000 in Gerald Brommer's book on collage. I love the primitive, folksy look of this work. Best known for his photocollages, he distorts figures making great shapes with great color in themes of African American life, drawing his images from the jazz he loved. His fresh, honest style is totally recognizable.

Romare Bearden 1911-1988

This book is also a source for some great quotes; like this one by Paul Klee "Color and I are one: I am a painter." I can relate to that.

I would rate this book at 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?