Monday, May 10, 2010

A Passion for Art

Ashley F. Bryan (b.1923) A Passion for Art, that is something I can relate to.

This past week while visiting Savannah, GA I discovered artist Ashley F. Bryan at the SCAD Museum (more about SCAD later). There was a wonderful display of his book illustrations done as drawings, tempera, & collage; wonderful bright colors that are so "happy" and stimulating. But the work I just fell in love with was the display of puppets made of "found" objects. Sorry, no photography was allowed. But if I can find examples of his work on the internet I'll grab it. These puppets made from bone, glass, clay, fur, used garments etc., were a great inspiration to me, and gave me new ideas for embellishing my masks. Also I had the idea to do a series of collages inspired by the puppets. I would probably mount them on mat board, and they would require a shadowbox frame to accommodate the "found" objects. But it is only another idea.

Woodcarving Workshop
Question: Are you going to show pics of the walking stick that you carved?
Answer: As soon as I can get the pics out of the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?