Monday, April 12, 2010

Black & White


An opportunity I couldn't refuse! The local theatre was holding a special showing of The Grapes of Wrath as part of a Dust Bowl Symposium. For the admission price of 35 cents a crowd of people got to see this great classic on the big screen, well modified big screen. I went specifically for the black & white. I was a little concerned that a colorized version might be offered (I hope a colorized version was not produced). Part of the drama, pathos, emotion of this film is only enhanced by the stark black & white. The shadows on the "dead" earth, the candle light and moon light on faces helps to set the mood of many of the important scenes. Director John Ford certainly used black & white film to his advantage to tell this moving story. I still have some research to do to find the cinematographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?