Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bye, bye, film

My friendly neighborhood photo center has removed the film processing/printing machine. All film must now be sent out to Fuji labs, even to reprint negatives. I guess I knew it was coming, but not soooooo soon. Film will become only a memory.
Oh, the memories! I got my first camera when I was ten. It was a Kodak Brownie with 126 film; black & white of course. It was two blocks and across Lyndale Ave to the drugstore that did the photo finishing. With the completed order came coupons for enlargements: 25cents for a 5x7 and 50cents for an 8x10. I would take photos of my baby sister; I would prop her up on the bed and use a gooseneck desk lamp for the light. With money from my allowance I'd get an enlargement (I still have some of the 5x7's). I felt like a real photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?