Monday, January 25, 2010

Inspiration


Inspiration ! That magic word that every artist hopes for as we face the blank canvas. But artists are observant people. Seeing pattern, shape, form, texture in all kinds of things as we walk our daily path. And then right between the eyes we are hit by inspiration!

The inspiration for the pattern on this rug came while I was at the Denver Art Museum. I had gone to see a Pierre Bonnard exhibit with my friend Liz. I expected to come away inspired by Bonnard's composition (I love his composition) or his colors or his application of paint. But as I sat resting in the gallery I noticed the pattern in the carpet for the first time, and I immediately started to work out how I could translate that into a design in the rugs that I was making. Now when I look at this rug I am wondering how I could expand this design to make a new pattern. And so inspiration breeds inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, great rug. Is it woven? Hooked? Braided? I've never made a rug. Kate

    ReplyDelete

A dialogue on the visual arts; what are your interests?